Back in June, when I registered for this whole-new-back-to-school-adventure, I was excited to take a drama class for several reasons:
- It sounded wild and fun.
- I wanted something to make me uncomfortable, I believe change can come out of exploring your uncomfortableness.
- I had taken an acting class seven years ago when I first did this whole college thing and I thought I was decent at it.
- Okay, full disclosure, I thought I was the shit in my beginning acting class.
- Sometimes I pretend I’m Tina Fey. This must have been one of those days.
I was floored on the first day. Naturally. You guys, my class was like 70% high school drama kids who were really good, which is not at all what I anticipated. These kids were like, already good. The other 30% of the class is a mix of young, fresh 17 year olds filling a requirement and a couple of ‘returning students’ like myself. I managed to sunk into my normal, cautious self, observing the professor, the TA’s and the class, and generally flying under the radar.
Last week I was assigned a partner and a scene. I immediately started freaking out over every possible detail, probably scaring my partner, A, as I emailed him different scenarios we could use. Unfortunately, he’s not one of the drama kids and his enthusiasm was lacking (very nice kid though). Also last week, A and I were chosen to
shit our pants practice our scene in front of the whole class. It was pretty meh (that’s a word, right) but the professor was really cool and he gave us some pointers that I, of course, have been obsessing over the entire week. ALSO, in the next class, we saw that another pair is doing our exact scene and chose to stage the scene in the kitchen, just like ours! I mean, I know we’re all creative and blah blah blah, it will be different, but the competitor in me was like “y’all need to turn it UP and kick some drama kid ass.”
That brings us today. It’s not our final scene performance, but on Monday, I had to ask the professor to unlock the prop closet—because I was the only person who basically transported an entire kitchen to ensure our scene looked real— and the professor was like “Oh, wow, you guys have a lot of props, I’ll let you go first on Wednesday.” I was like, “grrreeeat,” too shy to remind him that we already went because, let’s face it, we could use the practice.
So long story long, I might have to perform today in front of the class, again. I am ready but I am nervous. It’s not the good nervous, yet. And who knows, the professor will probably forget about us…but I have like a whole slew of props, so I’m going to have to ask him for the key again before we all break off in class and practice and I don’t want to trigger his memory.
Please think of positive thoughts for me around 12PM PST, that’s 3PM EST. Thank you!!
- herblondness likes this
- 808enidan likes this
- lspot said: awww MAB! Thanks for the love, I love you!!
- lspot likes this
- kimcheez likes this
- indiedreams likes this
- ahappyernie likes this
- mabtv3 reblogged this from lspot and added:
- lspoon likes this
- lspot posted this